Landed with more of an Ooof than a grunt.

I ran Wallygrunta short course race today. Well, I ran about 500 metres, tripped, skidded on my stomach, right mid forearm to elbow, left knee, inside left elbow, right quadricep and gently on my left hand for about 1 metre downhill and then ran for a further nine kilometres. And I still enjoyed it more than Stay Puft.

By Dennis Tan at Paparazzi on the Run

By Dennis Tan at Paparazzi on the Run

The course is just one dirty great hill, really. You go up for about 4 kilometres or so, and then back down again. There is a neat loop made, and the long course runners head off and do a bit more, but it’s just one sodding great hill. The path is quite wide and wide open most of the time, but at the start we were all packed so tight it was difficult to navigate. I know precisely why I tripped – I was following the person in front too close and wasn’t able to clearly see the trail ahead.

The long march of run/walk upwards was occasionally punctuated by pauses when I checked out the scenery – I wasn’t prepared to run uphill and not look where I was going, I’d learnt my lesson and the later terrain was a lot more gravel than Stay Puft (hooray!). It was those rough gravel chips that if you’d stacked it on it you were going to be more torn up than I already was, because where I’d tripped early on it was a nice soft mulch-y bit that gave me a gentler landing.

If I only crash once during the Perth Trail Series I chose the best day to stack it. We’ve had a cold change this weekend, so it was only about 22.C-23.C when the race was on, which meant no flies buzzing around my bloodied bits. When I got to the first aid station at the top of the hill I stopped and rinsed my hands and elbow. I was pleased to see that whilst both hands had hit the dirt, I’d really only injured my left palm and quite minimally too; I just had to coax a bit of gravel out and it was fine.

With that ridiculous uphill the downhill payoff was awesome, wonderful, delightful and all the synonyms you can think of. Kilometres 6 and 7 I managed 6:08 and 6:05 pace, slowing down to 6:43 and 6:47 for the following two kilometres with a few inclines in amongst the big decline. I flew down the last bit and underneath the finish arch in 1 hour 16 minutes 57 seconds, for 9.4km. Much faster than at Stay Puft, at 12.1km in 1 hour 53 minutes 52 seconds.

The lack of heat helped, so the high humidity didn’t affect me like it did at Stay Puft. I finished with so much more fluid in my pack this time round; where at Stay Puft I finished it off completely.

At the finish there were Chobani yoghurt representatives handing out the pouch packets of yoghurt. I’d packed a peanut butter sandwich and a Vegemite sandwich for afterwards; my plan was if I pulled up as bad as at Stay Puft I’d need food. As it was, I felt excellent (excepting the bloodied parts of me) and I scoffed the yoghurt instead.

Went via Yahava Koffeeworks where I had an excellent cafe latte, and drove home in equally excellent spirits.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.